Argumentative essay writing tips are more or less a dime a dozen when it comes to putting everything together. Two of the most important tips when writing an argumentative essay are:
- Find a concrete, and controversial argument to use as your base.
- Format your essay correctly. Formatting can be a great help when formulating your thoughts and putting them on paper.
- Research as much as possible. Rearching your own topic as well as any topics that may be in direct opposition of the topic that you chose.
The more you flush out a good topic and back it up with research, the better off your essay will inevitably be.
Building an Effective Argumentative Essay
After deciding upon a good and highly controversial topic then you are ready to put your thoughts down on paper to start building an outline, which will eventually translate into an argumentative essay.
Here are a few tips that you should consider when putting together an argumentative essay.
- Find your topic – From abortion to human trafficking, the sky is the limit when it comes to finding a heated topic to present as an argument.
- Think about your stance – Are you going to be for or against human trafficking? Logically, most people would be against human trafficking; but, either way, you will need to be confident and comfortable in whatever stance you take.
You will need to be able to substantiate the facts and cleverly fuse them with your stance in order to arrive at a solid argumentative essay. Think long and hard in order to better be able to discern where you are trying to take the topic argumentatively.
- Do your homework – There have undoubtedly been others who have argued for or against the topic that you chose who may have done it years prior to you even thinking about it.
Take time out to research how your predecessors argued their stance. This is not to say that you should mirror that stance, but it might give you a heads up and/or better tips on what direction you should be moving towards when it comes to the ebb and the flow of the argument.
- Know your opposition – Every argumentative topic has a pro side and an opposing side. The best possible strategy that you can employ when writing the article is to know your opponent’s stance on the issue. When you know how your opponent will think or what rebuttal he or she will try to use, then you will have an upper hand on how to out debate them. Knowing your opponent is essential in counter-attacking when it comes to your argumentative essay.
- Get the facts – What good is an argumentative essay if there are no facts? The bottom line is that you need facts in order to support your argument on your controversial topic. No one wants to look like an amateur, and in order to avoid doing such you will need to have cognitive and verifiable facts that will back up your argument completely. Without these facts your risk looking both unprofessional and unprepared.
- Pick a topic that you are passionate about – When there is no passion in an argumentative essay then there is nothing to capture the attention of the reader. In order to convey your argument it is imperative for you to be passionate about any topic that you pick. If you do not believe in it then no one else will either.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Argumentative Essay Writing Tips." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 18 June 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/for-students-and-parents/argumentative-essay-writing-tips.html>.
Argumentative Essay Writing Tips. (n.d.). Retrieved June 18th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/for-students-and-parents/argumentative-essay-writing-tips.html