According to some language experts, a rich vocabulary is a very valuable skill and an essential attribute of success in any career. Therefore your vocabulary may play a huge role in your future career: it may determine whether you get a job, and may have an impact on your advancement both profesionally and personally. It is very important to start building your vocabulary as early as you can in order to ensure that you can reach your fullest potential in your life and career, including social relationships. It is also essential to continue to develop your vocabulary over the course or yoru life; after all, there are millions of words and no one person can ever learn them all. These vocabulary websites, however, provide you with a good place to start if you want to try.
Below is a list of links to websites which can help build your vocabulary.
- Vocabulary.co is one of the leading vocabulary websites in the world. This site uses entertaining and informative flash online word games to teach and improve vocabulary. The wide variety of vocabulary games includes educational online word search, online crossword puzzles, and even hangman online, will have you sounding erudite in no time. You can choose specific words from the vocabulary list which will be used in the online word game, so you can really customize your learning experience. These vocabulary games can even be used in English classrooms. This website is a fun and educational website established to help build phonics, reading and English language skills in general.
- Surfnetkids is a vocabulary website for kids. Its features include word scrambles, vocabulary games, and interactive flashcards that will make studying fun and make word retention easier. It also has built-in vocabulary sites where you can input your own words as well.
- This website’s menu provides lists of vocabulary topics available for use. All you have to do is choose a topic that you feel you need more practice on and simply double-click that topic. You will be linked to exercises that will aid you in strengthening and increasing your vocabulary about that topic. Complete instructions are available in each exercise.
- Grammar.ccc.comnet.edu offers many quizzes that are considered to be vocabulary muscle builders. Take one or several to test and improve your vocabuluary. It also provides you with one year’s worth of words –one word for each day of the year for you to learn.
- Vocabulary.com not only offers a daily word puzzle, but it also provides free resources used in more than 24,000 schools to help students build their vocabulary as well as their written and verbal skills. Greek and Latin roots are also offered and explained on the website and can be used as an important vocabulary building tool.
- Building Vocabulary.org has devised programs to help enhance your vocabulary. They offer steps to learning words, tips for improving your vocabulary, and resources for learning.
- On the Non Stop English, you can easily practice your vocabulary skills and English grammar using their free interactive tests. You can even receive free interactive email exercises. With free registration, you can see which tests you have already done and their corresponding scores. Tests are motivational and are updated every week.
- Improving Vocabulary.org features techniques that will help improve the speed at which you learn new words. These tips are offered for free, along with other tips on methods of improving your vocabulary. They have 6 effective techniques you can use to easily and quickly enhance your vocabulary skills.
- Songs for Teaching offers a downloadable CD with vocabulary-building raps and songs for students. It features the latest trends in music that appeals to teens has over 200 ACT and SAT words.
- BBC Learning English provides a comprehensive resource covering not only English grammar and vocabulary but also other components of the English language as well. The website uses quizzes, pictures, stories, and other communication tools to help enrich your vocabulary.
- English Club.com offers fun and educational vocabulary quizzes to test your skills. All quizzes have available answer keys. This website is geared towards those who want to learn English for the first time, but native speakers can also take advantage of some of the features. It has a vocabulary section with available quizzes to sharpen your skills.
- Your Dictionary offers a Word of the Day which can be mailed directly to your inbox. Learn a new word each morning simply by reading your emails.