Teachers, parents and even students are looking for spelling activities to practice spelling words. The run of the mill ways of setting down and spelling words out as someone reads them to you is so last year. Everything else has changed with the times, so why not the way spelling words are practiced?
There are many inventive ways in which students can learn their weekly spelling words. There are games that several students can play and learn. There are ways in which students can practice on their own at home or in the classroom. No matter how the child learns, there is a way in which he or she can practice spelling words that will benefit them.
Ways to Practice Spelling at Home
There are several ways spelling words can be practiced with one person or with a few friends.
- Get several old magazines and newspapers. Cut out fancy letters to spell all of the spelling words for the week. Not only does this help with practicing the spelling but the children get to unleash some great creative energy with this project.
- If the child is alone and has none of his or her friends over to help with spelling practice, he can always type out the words on the computer. If typed on a computer, the child can always e-mail them to a friend or family member to show off what he is working on.
- Children might find it cool to type out their words on an old typewriter if you have one lying around the house. Typewriters are a thing of the past, but it may make the spelling practice a little more eventful.
- When the kids are in a group of friends at home they can play a game similar to Hangman. It is called Snowman. You draw a snowman and for every letter missed a part of the snowman melts. The object of the game is to keep your snowman from melting.
A few other things that can be done at home to help with spelling activities to practice spelling words include practice test and ABC order of the spelling words. These two things can be done the night before the spelling test. This ensures that your child has practiced his or her spelling words.
Spelling Activities for the Classroom
Practicing spelling words in the classroom can be a fun and adventurous thing. As a teacher it is your responsibility to teach your students in fun and inventive ways. So, when it comes time for the weekly spelling words, here are a few ideas:
- Give the students a word search to do in class that has all their spelling words to find.
- Have the students write sentences or a story containing each spelling word.
Not only will the children get to practice their spelling but they will get to be creative by telling a story or writing sentences.
Other classroom favorites include spelling Bingo and spelling baseball.
- With spelling Bingo, each child gets to make his or her own Bingo board. They fill in the 16 boxes on a card with the spelling words they choose. If the teacher calls the word they mark that box; if not then the student writes that word on the back of the Bingo card. As with regular Bingo, if the child gets all words marked in a row they win.
- Spelling baseball is another game that brings learning and fun into the classroom. Make four bases around the room with chairs. The pitcher says a spelling word and if the speller gets it right they move up a base. If he gets the word wrong, then he stays where he is at. This game is good interaction for students and encourages learning.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Spelling Activities to Practice Spelling Words." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/for-teachers/spelling-activities-to-practice-spelling-words.html>.
Spelling Activities to Practice Spelling Words. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/for-teachers/spelling-activities-to-practice-spelling-words.html