Know how to write a biographical sketch is very important if you have the job of painting the picture of someone’s life or if you are interested in promoting yourself for a particular reason. A biographical sketch can vary depending on who it is being written for and about. The focus of a sketch written about other people is to explain who the person is and provide an overview of the person’s life. If the biographical sketch is written about you from your own point of view, the same criteria apply plus the goal is usually to present yourself in a positive light. There are some tips to writing biographical sketches that will keep people engaged and make others want to know more about the subject of the sketch.
Purpose of a Biographical Sketch
There a few reasons why you would write a biographical sketch for yourself or someone else.
- If you are considering writing one for yourself perhaps you need a biographical sketch for a book or maybe you are making a presentation and it was requested that you provide a biographical sketch to be included in a program.
Most of the time when you are writing a biographical sketch about yourself it is for self promotion such as when seeking employment. Sometimes people will make professional portfolios that include a resume, pieces of their professional works and the biographical sketch.
- In instances where the biographical sketch is written about someone else, it is mainly for the purpose of informing an audience about that person’s life. These types of biographical sketches usually provide a very detailed account of a person’s life and will include such information as the person’s full name, occupation and their life’s activities.
When writing a biographical sketch for yourself or about someone else it is important to consider why you are writing such a piece as this will help you decide what information to add to complete the sketch.
Writing a Biographical Sketch
Here are a few tips to help you compile and format all the information which is needed.
- Get basic information about the subject - In order to effectively write a biographical sketch about a person, you need to obtain basic information about that individual. Such information as the person’s full name, date and place of birth and family background are some examples of basic information that can be used in a biographical sketch.
- List Achievements and Influences - When writing a biographical sketch about an individual, you should mention his or her personal achievements and how accomplishing certain feats affected his or her life. Likewise, you can also incorporate any personal influences into the autobiographical sketch. There are many people who have a number of personal influences.
- Arrangement of Information - Once you have gathered all the information that is needed to compose a biographical sketch, it is important that you have a format in which you will present the information. When writing a biographical sketch, there are a number of ways that you can format all the details. There are many sketches that are presented in book format with the story of a person’s life presented in chronological order. This is one of the more popular ways to present a biographical sketch, as it allows the reader trace the subject’s life from beginning to present day.
- Verify Information - Before publishing or presenting a biographical sketch on an individual, it is very important that the information is confirmed as being accurate. If you are writing a biographical sketch, the subject is the best person to provide information about him or herself. If you obtain information about your subject from other sources make sure to verify its veracity.
Writing Your Own Biographical Sketch
The tips on writing a biographical sketch can also be used to write your own story. When a person writes their own biographical sketch it is called an autobiography. Writing an autobiography is something that many people do. There are many famous people who have published autobiographies to either share their life story or to counteract an unauthorized biographical sketch that was written about them.
Even you can write your own biographical sketch, and your personal biographical sketch can be an ongoing project that you can build upon until you are ready to share it with others.