Don’t you feel elated when you see adjectives that start with "e?" Words like ecstatic and enchanting give off a positive aura that’s inspired many writers, poets, and wordsmiths of all kinds.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, one of the greatest poets of all time, often went by the moniker "STC" because he thought his initials sounded like “ecstasy” when said aloud. Let’s keep the mood elevated and scoop up a healthy spoonful of these exciting adjectives.
20 Adjectives that Start with E
In truth, there aren’t enough pages allotted to these happy little fellows. It’s helpful, however, to try to make your own list of common adjective words. That way, you’ll always have a handful of smart, descriptive words committed to memory and a handy reference list by your side.
See if you can include every letter in the English language in your reference list. While you’re at it, feel free to pluck some from the list below.
Here are our top 20 adjectives that start with the letter "e:"
- Eccentric - off-center or just a little bit crazy
- Eclectic - deriving ideas, taste, or style from various sources
- Eerie - strange or frightening
- Effervescent - someone who’s enthusiastic and vivacious
- Efficacious - capable of producing a desired effect
- Effluent - flowing out of
- Egregious - remarkably bad
- Eldritch - sinister and strange
- Electric - brilliant and vivid
- Elegiac - something that’s haunting and mournful
- Elephantine - a likeness to an elephant -- big, strong, and kind of scary
- Empathetic - an ability to share in and understand someone else’s feelings
- Empirical - the only way to really know something.
- Endogamous - marrying within your own clan
- Entropic - the inevitable degradation of any social system or structure into chaos
- Eponymous - named after someone or something
- Esoteric - intended to be understood only by a select few
- Excellent - really, really good
- Exhaustive - fully comprehensive
- Exotic - originating from a distant country; something unusual
Doesn’t this make you want to take off with an eccentric pal to an exotic destination full of effervescent people? It’s wonderful how simple words can promote certain feelings of ideas. As you continue to build your adjective list, let’s move on to a study of the next letter of the alphabet and examine some Adjectives That Start With F.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Adjectives That Start with E." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/Adjectives-That-Start-With-E.html>.
Adjectives That Start with E. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/Adjectives-That-Start-With-E.html