Hope you're ready to learn some adjectives that start with "H." You'd never guess there were so many great ones, and once you've learned them, you'll never look back. "H" will launch you into a whole new world past "hot" and "high."
Adjectives That Start with "H"
There are many adjectives that start with "H;" here are 15 of them:
- Heuristic - describes a mission of discovery, like that of the Captain Kirk's Enterprise, to discover strange new worlds.
- Hebdomadal - describes publications like The New Yorker, or anything else that happens once a week.
- Halcyon - calm and peaceful like a glass lake at dawn.
- Healthy - refers to something that seems sound. If you are healthy, you're doing all right.
- Healthful - refers to something that is conducive to health. A healthful diet, like an apple a day, for example, will negate your need for a doctor; thus, an apple is healthful. Healthful and healthy are often confused for one another, and eventually, they will probably merge. Today, though, they are still distinct words with distinct meanings and should be afforded the dignity and respect they deserve while it lasts.
- Heinous - an act or behavior that's really, really really, bad. If you've done something heinous, there's no amount apologizing that's going to make up for it. Something heinous is simply inexcusable.
- Heteroclite - describes someone or something that's different from the boring normal. Heteroclite can also have a clinical meaning describing anything abnormal or anomolous.
- Histrionic - like a drama queen, always bringing the drama.
- Hircine - like a goat or lusty.
- Hortative - "Good JOB!"
- Hedonistic - describes people who value individual pleasure over all else or an act whose purpose is such.
- Hyperbolic - refers to a statement that is so exaggerated, no one should ever take it seriously.
- Hebetudinous - describes something or someone who is obtuse, slow, or stupid.
"H," that towering letter, is like a bastion of hope in the alphabetic sea. It can whisper like in "how" or lengthen the sound of "A" in "Shah," and it can even be silent in "where" and "why." "S" becomes "Shhh," "T" becomes "The," and "C" becomes "Che."
"H" does everything a letter should. It works hard for its place as the eighth letter in the alphabet. It dramatically affects any letter it comes in contact with, and it can stand alone, powerful and resolute. Everyone should strive to be more like "H."
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Adjectives That Start with H." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 18 June 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/Adjectives-That-Start-With-H.html>.
Adjectives That Start with H. (n.d.). Retrieved June 18th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/Adjectives-That-Start-With-H.html