There aren't many adjectives that start with Z. In fact, there aren't many English words at all that start with the letter Z. And several of those that do exist tend to be very informal, or even slang.
However, this shouldn't preclude us from using and enjoying them. Indeed, slang words often convey our intended meaning with precision. Plus, the more we use them, the more common they become. Some of our favorite slang words even go on to enter the mainstream language and become legitimate vocabulary.
So, we urge you to go forth and use these Z adjectives with pride. They may be few in number, and you won't find many of them used in everyday conversation, but they still have plenty to say.
Adjectives That Start With Z
Here are our top descriptive Z words:
- Zaftig - having a full, shapely figure: said of a woman
Kim Kardashian's zaftig figure is the goal for many women embarking on a new workout routine.
- Zany - comical in an extravagantly ludicrous or slapstick manner
Melissa McCarthy's zany ways can captivate an audience for hours.
- Zazzy - shiny or flashy
Do you love my zazzy new shoes?
- Zealous - full of, characterized by, or showing zeal; ardently devoted to a purpose; fervent; enthusiastic
Her zealous pursuit for a new beginning will make her endeavors a success.
- Zen - very relaxed and calming
His zen disposition is very appealing.
- Zesty - full of zest, energetic, active
Have you met our new neighbor? She's rather zesty and full of life.
- Zibeline - of or having to do with sables (the animal)
Her zibeline coat is sure to offend animal lovers.
- Zigzag - having a series of short, sharp angles or turns in alternate directions
Our camp counselor told us if we were being chased by a crocodile, we should run in a zigzag pattern.
- Zillionth - referring to something that's happened a countless number of times
This is the zillionth time she's asked to borrow money.
- Zinciferous - yielding or containing zinc
This well produces water that is far too zinciferous to drink.
- Zingy - pleasantly stimulating
My zingy exchange with my boss left me feeling like I can do anything.
- Zippy - full of vim and energy; brisk
No doubt her zippy disposition helped land her that job.
- Zoetic - of or pertaining to life
Her zoetic awakening has inspired others to be the best they can be.
- Zoic - of or pertaining to animals or animal life
Our day at the aquarium was full of zoic adventures.
- Zonked - completely tired; exhausted
After a day like today, I'm completely zonked.
- Zoogenic - caused by or starting in animals, as a disease
This unnamed disease certainly has zoogenic origins.
- Zoological - of, pertaining to, or concerned with animals
Our zoological pursuits through the safari were exhilarating.
- Zoophagus - a carnivorous animal
That zoophagus lion is going to eat that poor, defenseless animal.
- Zygomatic - relating to our cheeks
Take that zygomatic blush brush away from my face, I look like a clown!
- Zymolytic - causing fermentation
Her zymolytic attempt at making beer was a success.
And there you have it. We've broken down the alphabet, letter by letter, to help you compile a long list of adjectives. By crafting a personal list, you'll have a resource at hand to help you diversify your writing.
We encourage you to put a good ol' fashioned pen to paper and record an adjective list for the ages. The act of writing will help them stick in your mind. Then, when you set out to share your talents with the world, you'll be able to paint your prose with elegance and grace.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Adjectives That Start with Z." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 14 October 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/adjectives-that-start-with-z.html>.
Adjectives That Start with Z. (n.d.). Retrieved October 14th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/adjectives-that-start-with-z.html