An example of an appositive noun will make the phrase "appositive" sound much less intimidating. Appositives are used in everyday language all the time, in order to make a point more clear or to refer to an even more specific component of the noun.
Defining An Appositive Noun
An appositive generally implies the word "noun," so we can just refer to an appositive noun as an appositive. An appositive is a noun or a noun phrase that renames a noun that is right beside it. For example, if you said "The boy ran down the street," adding an appositive could result in "The boy, who is the quickest, ran down the street." The sentence is still complete without the appositive; however adding the appositive presents more information about the particular character.
Example of an Appositive Noun
The best way to become acquainted with any part of speech is to practice constantly, and to use the part of speech appropriately. Therefore, frequently reviewing examples of appositive nouns will help to enhance your study. The appositives in the following sentences are underlined.
- Gus, Eric's black and white cat, slowly crept up behind the kittens.
- The bookshelf, a modern piece of furniture, was moved into the house first.
- The insect, a large and hairy creature, scared the children as they walked outside.
- My brother, a human garbage disposal, consumed five cheeseburgers in one sitting last night.
- Kara's bag, a display of her wealth, was stained with paint because she wasn't careful.
- They couldn't believe when the little boy stood up to John, the biggest bully in the whole school.
- Mara's sundae, a gigantic mountain of ice cream, started to melt when she took it outside.
- An enormous man with great strength, Henry was able to carry the entire bag of bricks by himself.
- Dressed in a turquoise ballgown, Jasmine was the bell of the ball.
Appositives can be easily overused. All it takes is one too many and the sentence can become too long, cluttered and confusing. Use them when they can add to the character of the noun and provide more interest to the sentence.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Example of an Appositive Noun." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/example-of-an-appositive-noun.html>.
Example of an Appositive Noun. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/example-of-an-appositive-noun.html