Understanding prepositions is one of the aspects of understanding and speaking the English language ... and preposition worksheets are great tools to help. A preposition is a part of speech that shows relationship between a noun or a pronoun to another word in a sentence. Prepositions will usually come before a noun and refer to information related to time, location, or direction. Examples of prepositions include:
above, after, against, as, at, beneath, between, behind, by, during, except, for from, in, into, like, near, on, over, past, since, under, upon, and with.
To sharpen your grammar skills on preposition usage, or to give you ideas on how to teach prepositions to others, here are links to sources of preposition worksheets.
Importance of a Preposition
A preposition is a word or phrase that connects a noun or pronounb to a verb or adjective in a sentence. They are very important because they help you understand sentences. Without prepositions, it would be impossible to know the relationship between nouns, verbs, phrases and other such parts of a sentence.
Perfect your knowledge of prepositions with these preposition worksheets listed below.
- Boggles World ESL contains preposition worksheets for young ESL learners. The site also offers preposition flashcards.
- ESL Printables contains English teaching worksheets and activities for teaching prepositions to ESL students.
- ESL Flow offers activities for teaching prepositions to ESL students as well as worksheets for prepositions.
- Teaching Ideas includes worksheets such as the Spot the Preposition - This activity has a total of 20 pages. Each page has sentences on it that must be completed. Children have to read each sentence and click on the word which they think is a preposition. If they answer correctly, they see a happy face. If they are wrong, they see a sad face. They can then go back to the previous page to answer again. Their answers can be written in books, on paper or on the accompanying worksheet available on the website. The site also features two more preposition worksheets that students and teachers can use. The worksheet require children to read a sentence containing a missing preposition. They must then select the correct preposition from the list available on the page. This worksheet is available in several printable formats.
- EZ School has 4 preposition worksheets available for use.
- Tools for Educators offers free prepositions worksheets, a prepositions of movement worksheet maker, prepositions of place board games, prepositions printables and teaching materials. You can also create worksheets with corresponding images, as plain text, or with mixed text and images. All worksheets are 100% customizable so you can make worksheets and activities that will suit your students’ needs.
- ED Helper contains printable preposition worksheets on topics such as fill in the missing preposition, write the preposition in each sentence, write the missing preposition in the sentence and complete fill-in puzzle, and write the preposition and the object of each preposition.
- TeAchnology's group of worksheets and exercises provide students ways to practice using prepositions. Worksheet topics includes preposition identification, sentence re-writing, picture matching, and the correct usage of prepositions.
- Handouts Online contains printable preposition worksheets to aid ESL/TEFL teachers in teaching prepositions to students.
- Download-ESL has grammar exercises or worksheets related to teaching prepositions. Browse the worksheets available, read their descriptions, and then decide which one you would like to print out. Click on the thumbnail preview to select your worksheet.
- Using English offers free English grammar and vocabulary worksheets and printable handouts, for ESL teachers to use in the classroom.
- Magic Vocabulary.net contains printable worksheets and games for teaching prepositions.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Preposition Worksheets." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/prepositions/preposition-worksheets.html>.
Preposition Worksheets. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/prepositions/preposition-worksheets.html