Do you want to know some slang words for depressants? This article contains some of the more common street names, or slang terms, for drugs along with information about depressants.
Slang Words for Depressants
Following is a list of slang words for depressants and other drugs, some of which are used illegally. Categories are depressants, stimulants, narcotics, and hallucinogens. The drug name is listed first with the slang terms or common names after. Sometimes a list of brand names for the drug is given, or the substance that contains the drug is listed.
- Amyl Nitrite - Poppers, Snappers
- Barbiturates - Barbs, Blue Devils, Downers, Red Devils, Yellows, Yellow Jackets,
- Nitrite - Bolt, Bullet, Climax, Locker Room, Rush
- Chloro-hydrocarbons - Cleaning fluids, aerosol sprays
- Hydrocarbons - Solvents
- Methaqualone - Quaaludes, Ludes, Sopors
- Nitrous Oxide - Laughing gas, Whippets
- Tranquilizers - Equanil, Librium, Miltown, Serax, Tranxene Valium
- Cocaine - Big C, Blow, Coke, Flake, Lady, Nose Candy, Snow, Snowbirds, White, Powder
- Crack Cocaine - Crack, Cookie, freebase, rock
- Amphetamines - Black beauties, Co-pilots, Pep pills, Speed, Uppers, Ups Bumblebees,
- Hearts, Benzedrine, Biphetamine, Dexedrine, Footballs
- Methamphetamines - Crank, Crystal meth, Crystal methadrine, Speed
- Heroin - Big H, Brown sugar, Horse, Junk, Mud, Smack
- Morphine - Pectoral syrup
- Codeine - Empirin compound with codeine, Tylenol with codeine,
codeine in cough medicine
- Marijuana - Dope, Ganja, Grass, Mary Jane, Pot, Reefer, Weed, Urb
- Psilocybin - Magic Mushrooms, 'shrooms
- Lysergic acid diethylamide - Acid, Blue heaven, Microdot, Sugar Cubes White lightning
- Analog of Amphetamines or Methamphetamines - Adam, Ecstasy, Essence XTC
- Phencyclidine - Angel Dust, Hog, Love boat, Lovely, PCP
Depressants slow down the nervous system and can be tranquilizers or sedatives. The effects of depressants are slow pulse and breathing, drowsiness, slurred speech, lowered blood pressure, and impaired coordination and thinking.
Some depressants are:
- Barbiturates - These are sedative hypnotics which help with insomnia and anxiety. Some are Phenobarbital, Nembutal, and Amytal.
- Benzodiazepines - These are tranquilizers and some of the brand names are Valium and Xanax.
- Marijuana - This is also a depressant and can be legally obtained in some areas.
If used for a long time, depressants can become addictive, cause problems with sleep and sexual function and often lead to respiratory arrest and death.