Before entering a spelling bee, taking some spelling bee quizzes will be useful. Spelling bees can be quite difficult, especially since there is often a lot of pressure on the participants as many other people are watching. Additionally, spelling bees are frequently held in schools, and children might feel pressured by their peers.
Spelling Bee Practice and Quizzes
What follows is a list of both spelling bee quizzes and spelling bee practice worksheets. Worksheets can be just as effective as quizzes, since both of them aid in practice for the ultimate goal of the spelling bee.
Studying for a Spelling Bee
Using spelling bee quizzes is crucial, since they contain valuable information about words that might very well show up in a spelling bee.
Here are some additional strategies:
- Try researching some common words that are used in spelling bees. The more you become accustomed to the words that might show up, the better prepared you will be.
- Try and become comfortable with the idea of standing in front of a group of people. You don't want to lose the competition because you are nervous. Most people are going to be a little bit nervous, but you don't want the anxiety to entirely take over.
- Consider using flashcards. Flashcards are frequently used for teaching different types of lessons, from the most basic levels up to the highest.
- Practice with a partner. He/she can give you some tips on how to remember words with which you are struggling.
- Remember some basic rules of spelling that you have learned in the past. In general, most rules do not ALWAYS apply. However, they are decent standards to use as a jumping off point.
- Also keep in mind that the judges are not foolish. They know which words are most commonly used. If you Google "most common spelling bee words" you can bet that the list that pops up will not be the exact same one as that which is used at the spelling bee.
Using Drills to Study Spelling
Spelling bees are a bit different from other types of learning that occur in educational settings. Particularly in past years, learning has focused more on differentiating strategies to suit various types of learners and situations.
In the matter of a spelling bee, drills are one of the best teaching tools to use. Creativity often requires time. However, in a spelling bee, there is a set time limit. You cannot ponder indefinetly about the correct spelling of a word, because you are in a timed competition against other people. Parents, teachers, and other instructors also need to keep this distinction between spelling bee training and other learning in mind.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Spelling Bee Quizzes ." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 October 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/spelling-bee-quizzes.html>.
Spelling Bee Quizzes . (n.d.). Retrieved October 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/spelling-bee-quizzes.html