Whether you're a homeschooling parent or simply looking to provide your child with extra spelling practice, consider incorporating a spelling contract into your lesson plans.
Defining a Spelling Contract
If you're like many parents, the idea of a spelling contact may seem perplexing. However, spelling contracts can be valuable tools to help motivate children to practice their spelling words. A spelling contract gives your child a sense of independence by letting him or her make decisions about how to study.
Spelling contracts encourage children to commit to a certain amount of study time, but they feature a variety of activities that students can choose to complete. For example:
- A child who loves to write can make up a story with his or her spelling words.
- An artistic child can choose to make a spelling word collage with pictures cut from his or her favorite magazines.
Offering choices in this manner helps reluctant students learn to take responsibility for their academic success.
Finding Spelling Contracts Online
There are many different educational websites offering spelling contracts that you can use to help your child practice his or her spelling words. For example:
- Kim'sKorner offers a spelling and vocabulary contract that gives students a choice of activities they can do to practice their spelling words. Each activity is awarded a point value based on difficulty and students must acquire a certain number of points to fulfill the terms of the contract.
- KunaSchools offers a contract for younger spellers that includes a variety of activities.
- ProTeacher Collection has a collection of ideas for spelling contracts including teacher tips and actual contracts.
For more information about ways to teach spelling, check out the following resources:
- A Lost Art discusses the decline of spelling instruction in public schools and offers a list of rules that can be used to help master new spelling words.
- LD Online offers an article with tips on helping learning disabled students master new spelling words.
- Spelling it Right is a general resource for anyone interested in learning how to spell more confidently. Tips, free printable worksheets and advice from an experienced English teacher.