Whether you're a homeschooling parent or simply looking to provide your child with extra spelling practice, consider incorporating a spelling contract into your lesson plans.
Defining a Spelling Contract
If you're like many parents, the idea of a spelling contact may seem perplexing. However, spelling contracts can be valuable tools to help motivate children to practice their spelling words. A spelling contract gives your child a sense of independence by letting him or her make decisions about how to study.
Spelling contracts encourage children to commit to a certain amount of study time, but they feature a variety of activities that students can choose to complete. For example:
- A child who loves to write can make up a story with his or her spelling words.
- An artistic child can choose to make a spelling word collage with pictures cut from his or her favorite magazines.
Offering choices in this manner helps reluctant students learn to take responsibility for their academic success.
Finding Spelling Contracts Online
There are many different educational websites offering spelling contracts that you can use to help your child practice his or her spelling words. For example:
- This 5th Grade Contract offers a point system and can be printed out for students to put in their binder.
- Super Teacher Ideas offers a contract for younger spellers that includes a variety of activities.
- ProTeacher Collection has a collection of ideas for spelling contracts including teacher tips and actual contracts.
For more information about ways to teach spelling, check out the following resources:
- Reading Rocket discusses a new way of teaching spelling called Word Study.
- LD Online offers an article with tips on helping learning disabled students master new spelling words.
- Teach Hub offers activities to develop students' spelling skills such as Phonemic Awareness and game ideas.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Spelling Contracts." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 13 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/spelling-contracts.html>.
Spelling Contracts. (n.d.). Retrieved August 13th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/spelling-contracts.html