If you're lost for the perfect words to express your feelings, read on. Many words and terms of affection will be defined below that will help you say the right thing. We also give you some ideas for showing how much you care too.
Definitions of Love Terms
Let’s start by looking at the definitions of terms used to refer to people in love or love itself.
- Adore: Loving someone very much
- Affection: A tender and warm feeling toward someone; extreme fondness.
- Amore: The Italian word for love.
- Amour: From the French word for love, this is a serious love affair, usually a secret one.
- Cherish: Have great affection and caring for someone.
- Court: Another word for dating which refers to the man trying to convince the woman to marry him.
- Enchant: Attracting someone, or casting a spell over them.
- Fancy: Has a strong liking or love for someone.
- Head over heels: To be totally infatuated with someone.
- Hold dear: To have a lot of affection for someone.
- Hots for: Slang expression for desire for someone.
- Idolize: To totally love someone and not see their faults.
- Long for: To really want someone.
- Passion: A very strong love for someone.
- Rapture: The feeling you get when you are in love.
- Spark: The attraction between two people.
- Sugar baby: A nickname for your partner.
- Treasure: Consider valuable or rare
- True love: Your lover or soul mate
- Worship: To adore intensely.
- Yearning: A very strong urge to be with someone.
Expressing Love in Words
Hopefully the previous definitions helped you on your quest to find words to express love. Here are some ways to say, “I love you”:
- I cherish you.
- I want a lifetime with you.
- I adore you.
- I am better because of you.
- I need you by my side.
- I cannot stop thinking about you.
- My love for you is unconditional and eternal.
Sometimes you can say, “I love you” by telling the other person what they are to you or what they mean to you. Here is a list of possible things to say that all start with “You”:
- You: complete me, mean the world to me, cast a spell on me, light up my life, stole my heart, hold the key to my heart, lift me up, rock my world, and make my heart skip a beat.
- You are: the light of my life, a dream come true, all I want, the apple of my eye, the best thing that ever happened to me, my perfect match, the one I’ve always wished for, and the one for me.
- You are my: everything, heart’s desire, life, world, treasure, one and only, sunshine, one true love, strength, and reason for living.
Other Ways to Express Love
Since we have covered so many ways to say, “I love you” or to express love, here are two sets of ideas for ways to show love.
The first set is other things to say and ways to act:
- Don’t criticize or compare them to others.
- Be a good listener.
- Ask for their opinions and ideas.
- Keep your promises.
- Buy flowers or a gift for no reason.
- Apologize if necessary.
- Tell them why you love them.
- Be proud of their accomplishments.
- Forgive and forget.
- Follow the Golden Rule: treat others as you'd like to be treated.
- Be honest.
- Show common courtesy.
The second set is things to do together:
- Hug often.
- Kiss, both when you are alone and when people are watching.
- Do everyday things together, like baking or walking.
- Pray or meditate together.
- Hold hands.
- Snuggle and play footsies.
- Give each other a foot rub or massage.
- Leave love notes where the other will find them.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset together.
- Relax in a Jacuzzi.
- Stare into each other’s eyes.
- Have a picnic in a secluded spot.
As you can see, there are many ways to talk about love, tell someone "I love you," and show how much you care. Can you think of more?
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Love: Expressions in Words." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 21 September 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/love-expression-in-words.html>.
Love: Expressions in Words. (n.d.). Retrieved September 21st, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/love-expression-in-words.html