Birthdays come around but once a year. When a special person in your life has a birthday, sometimes it can be hard to know exactly what words will make the big day special. Here are some suggested quotes and words for birthday wishes which can brighten any birthday and that you can write in a card or incorporate in a birthday toast whether the celebrant is a teenager or ninety-five.
Words for Birthday Wishes
Words for birthday wishes can take many forms - they may be serious or funny. You may even wish to say happy birthday in a foreign language. Here are a bunch of great sayings and phrases you can use.
Quotes for Happy Birthdays
- Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are. - Muhammad Ali
- The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball
- Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed. - Charles Schultz
- May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live. - Irish Blessing
- Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Jack Benny
- A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age. - Robert Frost
- Robert Brault said, I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar. Your birthday was penciled in as soon as I got this calendar! Happy birthday.
- According to Emerson, it is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Let’s be stupid today. Happy birthday.
See more birthday quotes.
- You're halfway to 42.
- Twenty-one is the age of responsibility. Give it a few months and you will be wondering why you are in such a hurry to get here. - Anonymous
- The first twenty years are the best half of your life. Happy 39th!
- At the age of twenty, we don't care what the world thinks of us; at thirty, we worry about what it is thinking of us; at forty, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all - Anonymous
- You’re not fifty yet. You’re $49.95. Happy Birthday.
- The man who views the world at fifty the same as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life - Muhammad Ali
Friendly Happy Birthdays
- On your birthday, today, I wish you a year with loads of fun, excitement and beautiful memories. Happy birthday.
- Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake.
- A birthday only happens once in a lifetime. Today, I am celebrating the anniversary of your birth.
- You are a good friend and and even better person. May God bless you with wonderful times ahead. Happy Birthday and thanks for the friendship we share.
- The friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you. I still like you. Happy birthday.
- I wish for you to have people to love, people in your life who will care about you as much as I do. Happy birthday.
- You’ve been my friend for ___ birthdays. I’ve been yours for ___. I win—so happy birthday.
- Happy birthday, my friend. I can’t imagine celebrating with anyone else.
- I’m so proud of all you’ve accomplished, but I’m more proud that you’re my friend. Happy birthday.
Romantic Happy Birthdays
- Falling in love with you was easy. Staying in love with you is easier. Happy birthday. I can’t wait until next year.
- Being in love doesn’t make me happy. It’s being in love with you, year after year, that does the trick.
- With each year, I love you even more. Happy birthday, darling.
- You’re not growing older. You’re growing better. I love you! Happy birthday.
- We’re one year closer to growing old together. It’s just what I’ve always dreamed.
- I never thought we’d make it this far, but now I know that we’ll keep going forever. Happy birthday, baby.
- I already gave you my heart ___ years ago—this year all I can give you is a simple wish: Happy Birthday. And I hope you’re happier and more in love with me than you were last year.
"Old Age" Happy Birthdays
- “Over the hill” is a relative term—but here’s a sled, just in case. Happy Birthday!
- Statistics have proven that those who have the most birthdays live the longest. You’re statistically guaranteed to have a happy birthday.
- Growing old is mandatory. Growing up, however, is optional. Happy Birthday, old friend!
- At this point, you probably want to forget your birthday. Fortunately, I haven’t. Happy ____th Birthday!
- So many birthdays. So few candles. Next year, may your birthday wish be a bigger cake.
- Let’s take a birthday photo. Smile while you’ve still got the teeth!
- In spite of the advances in science, we’ve still found no cure for excessive birthdays. Happy Birthday—hope to see you next year!
- Old age isn’t so bad. After all, consider the alternative. Happy Birthday.
Belated Birthday Wishes
- Forget your past—it’s already done. Forget your present, too; because I forgot. Happy Birthday!
- Happy birthday. Wait, that was last week? Guess I’m getting old!
- I hope your birthday was as special as you are.
- If I couldn't be the first one to wish you, at least I can be the last one to cross your mind this birthday! Happy Belated Birthday. I hope you had an amazing day!
Saying Happy Birthday in Different Languages
- Veels geluk met jou verjaarsdag! (Afrikaans)
- Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog! (Austrian)
- Chestit Rojden Den! (Bulgarian)
- Sun Yat Fai Lok! (Cantonese)
- Qu ni sheng er kuai le. (Mandarin)
- Tillykke med fodselsdagen! (Danish)
- Palju onne sunnipaevaks! (Estonian)
- Tavalodet Mobarak! (Farsi)
- Bonne Fete! (French)
- Haerzliche Glueckwuensche zum Geburtstag! (German)
- Hau`oli la hanau! (Hawaiian)
- Yom Huledet Same'ach! (Hebrew)
- Boldog szuletesnapot! (Hungarian)
- Buon Compleanno! (Italian)
- Quchjaj qoSlIj! (Klingon)
- Fortuna dies natalis! (Latin)
- Torson odriin mend hurgee! (Mongolian)
- Gratulerer med dagen! (Norwegian)
- Parabens! (Portuguese)
- Feliz Cumpleanos! (Spanish)
- Brigo! (Syriac)
- Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat! (Vietnamese)
- A Freilekhn Gebortstog! (Yiddish)
Enjoy the annual milestones in the lives of your friends and family.