Maybe you are preparing a speech for a special occasion or composing a toast for your best friend’s wedding. No matter what the reason, you will certainly find suitable words to describe a friendship in the following lists.
Words that Describe a Good Friendship
Have you ever thought of what friendship really means? It is really hard to put into words. Friendships are mutually beneficial, meaning each of you get something out of the relationship. Friends are there when you need them, whether to comfort, support, congratulate, or just listen.
Here is a list of words that describe a good friendship: affable, affectionate, amiable, amicable, attentive, available, believable, brave, caring, cheerful, considerate, cordial, discerning, easygoing, empathetic, faithful, forgiving, funny, generous, gentle, giving, good listener, heartfelt, honest, humorous, kind, loving, loyal, nice, optimistic, punctual, reliable, responsible, sensitive, sincere, sociable, sweet, sympathetic, tactful, thoughtful, trustworthy, truthful, warm, warm-hearted, winning, and wonderful.
Sayings About Friends
If you are composing a speech or writing a paper and need some sayings or quotes about friendship, here are a few for you to consider:
- Relationships are all there is. Everything in the universe only exists because it is in relationship to everything else. Nothing exists in isolation. We have to stop pretending we are individuals that can go it alone. - Margaret J. Wheatley
- The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. - Vincent van Gogh
- Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. - Marcel Proust
- The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. - Elizabeth Foley
- Friendship is a sheltering tree. - Samuel Coleridge
- It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention.... A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words. - Rachel Naomi Remen
- Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. - Mark Twain
- Consult your friend on all things, especially on those which respect yourself. His counsel may then be useful where your own self-love might impair your judgment. - Seneca
- The only way to have a friend is to be one. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dale Carnegie Wrote the Book
Dale Carnegie wrote one of the first ever self-help books called How to Win Friends and Influence People in 1937. In the book he explains how to handle people, make them like you, and how to influence them. He stresses the importance of:
- Not criticizing or complaining, but giving honest opinions
- The need to smile, remembering their name, and being sincerely interested in people with whom you want to make friends.
- Being a good listener, getting them to talk about themselves, and then continuing the conversation about things that interest them.
These things make the other person feel important and that can be the beginning of a friendship.
Dale Carnegie had many words that describe a good friendship and advice on making friends. He also shows the importance of a positive attitude, and that can help you make friends. Here is a sampling of his wisdom.
- The royal road to a man's heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most.
- When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.
- Do things for others and you'll find your self-consciousness evaporating like morning dew.
- You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.
- When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Words that Describe a Good Friendship." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/words-that-describe-a-good-friendship.html>.
Words that Describe a Good Friendship. (n.d.). Retrieved August 17th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/words-that-describe-a-good-friendship.html