Here are some 4th grade science vocabulary words and definitions for sound and light followed by a few online resources. A quiz is also provided for practice.
- Amplitude = the measure of a sound wave
- Echo = a reflection of sound
- Pitch = how high or low a sound is; determined by the frequency of the vibration
- Sonic Boom = a shock wave that consists of compressed sound waves created when something moves faster than the speed of sound
- Sound Wave = sound travels in a wave, which is a moving pattern of high and low pressure or vibrations
- Speed of Sound = how fast sound moves through an object
- Vibrate = to move back and forth
- Volume = how much sound energy reaches the ear
- Wavelength = the length between the compressions in a sound wave
- Absorption = absorption happens when light stops as it hits an opaque object
- Convex lens = a curved lens like the outside a sphere
- Concave = a curved lens like the inside of a sphere
- Opaque = an object is opaque when all light is absorbed or reflected; no image can be seen
- Prism = something that bends light, but is not a lens
- Reflection = when light bounces off of an object
- Refraction = when light is bent as it moves through one kind of matter to another
- Translucent = a substance that allows some light to pass through it
- Transparent = a substance that allows most of the light to pass through it
- Visible Spectrum = the light energy that humans can see
Here are some good sites for teachers and students:
- Harcourt School has a science glossary for grades one through six.
- The Utah Education Network has science games for grades three through six. Topics for 4th grade include: weather, water cycle, animals, rocks, and forests.
- Just Kids Games has activities for teachers and students. Teachers can make and print word search and crossword puzzles, and students can play games. Game levels range from 3rd to 6th grade.
Science Vocabulary Quiz
Here is a quiz on 4th grade science vocabulary words for sound and light. It covers the terms listed in this article.
A. Directions: Put a T for true and an F for false
- ___ Light is electromagnetic radiation.
- ___ Opaque objects can either absorb or reflect light.
- ___ Transparent substances reflect light.
- ___ A convex lens is curved outwards.
- ___ A prism is a type of lens
- ___ You can see your reflection on an opaque object
- ___ The visible spectrum is light you can see.
- ___ All light passes through translucent objects.
- ___ A concave lens is like the inside of a sphere.
- ___ Refraction means the light stops.
B. Directions: Write the correct word in the blank.
amplitude sonic boom pitch echo sound
sound wave speed of sound vibrate volume wavelength
- __________ repeated vibrations that you can hear
- __________ how a sound wave is measured
- __________ moving pattern of high and low pressure
- __________ distance between compressions in a sound wave
- __________ move back and forth
- __________ sound reflection
- __________ how high or low a sound is
- __________ the amount of sound energy that reaches your ear
- __________ how fast sound moves through something
- __________ compressed sound waves made when an object goes faster than the speed of sound
- sound wave
- wave length
- speed of sound
- sonic boom
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"4th Grade Science Vocabulary Words for Sound and Light." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 13 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/4th-grade-science-vocabulary-words-for-sound-and-light.html>.
4th Grade Science Vocabulary Words for Sound and Light. (n.d.). Retrieved August 13th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/4th-grade-science-vocabulary-words-for-sound-and-light.html