If you are looking for some funny Southern words, then you are in the right place. The South is a big place and they have a humor all their own.
The United States Census Bureau defines the South as the sixteen south Atlantic, east south Central and west south central states of the United States. These three divisions include the states of:
South Atlantic Division
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
East South Central Division
West South Central Division
The South is also called the American South, Down South, or Dixie. One feature of the South is the Bible Belt, which has mostly Protestant Christians who are socially conservative and evangelical. Religion is a major part of the culture of the South. The largest denomination is Baptist, followed by Methodist.
Funny Southern Words
Let’s look at a few funny Southern words before we look at funny sayings. Any Southern male can be called Bubba or Junior. Your bottom or rear end is referred to as your hiney. The word “said” is pronounced “sed”, “roots” are pronounced “ruts”, and the word for “ought” is “ort.” “Duttin” means doesn’t or to be sure, “ain’t” is another way of saying are not, and “ya’ll” is short for you all.
Following are some funny words that portray a special kind of wisdom only found in the South. Some of them are not laugh out loud funny but are pretty interesting.
- About to pop - means you are full after eating a lot
- A mind to - means you are thinking about doing something
- Cain't never could - “cain’t” is a combination of can’t and ain’t, the saying means you will never do it if you don’t try
- Hit the bushes - means to go to the bathroom
- Huzzy - means a bad woman, like one that would take your husband
- That dog will hunt - means that is a good idea or plan
The next set of funny words don’t need an explanation. They are either words to live by, insults for other people, or just colorful exclamations.
- He couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.
- He squeezes a quarter so tight the eagle screams.
- He doesn’t have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.
- He’s about as useful as a pogo stick in quicksand.
- If brains were leather, he wouldn’t have enough to saddle a Junebug.
- She needs some fries to go with that shake.
- She’s so clumsy she could trip over a cordless phone!
- The engine’s runnin’ but nobody’s driving.
- They’re off like a herd of turtles.
- Well that just dills my pickle!
- Well, don’t you look prettier than a glob of butter melting on a stack of wheat cakes!
- Your browser may not support display of this image.
- You could start an argument in an empty house.
Rednecks are predominantly farmers and other outdoor workers who live in the South. Southern sayings and redneck sayings are often the same or similar.
Here are some funny redneck sayings to go with your funny Southern words:
- I am as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
- I’m happier than a tornado in a trailer park.
- If his brains were dynamite, he couldn’t blow his nose.
- That’s about as useful as a trap door on a canoe.
- If everything is coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane!
- He’s so rich; he buys a new boat each time one gets wet.
- He was as mad as a mule chewing on bumblebees!
- I think he’s one fry short of a Happy Meal.
- You look about as happy as a tick on a fat dog.
Some comedians say that one way to know you’re a redneck is if you think the last words to The Star Spangled Banner are "Gentlemen, start your engines."