From the gurgling sounds they make, to their silly faces and momentous milestones, babies are a source of much comedy, and there are simply endless funny words related to babies! Funny baby-related terms can make for fun at baby showers or first birthday parties. For example, you can do baby word searches, scrambled word puzzles, word bingo, and much more, so grab your pens and take some of these terms down!
Funny Words Related to Babies
- Granny – also known as grandmother or grandma, “granny” is just one of the funny, common ways that babies might refer to this special woman in a baby’s life. But you do have to ask yourself, does grandma actually LIKE being called “granny”?
- Booties – also known as the adorable little boots that babies wear. Booties can be homemade (knitted or crocheted) or store-bought, and are cute enough to earn a fonder name than simply “baby boots.”
- Poo-poo or poopy– also known as a baby’s fecal matter. Somehow saying words like “defecate” or “defecation” or even “bowel movement” does not suit those precious bundles of joy, so parents almost universally refer to a child’s soiled diaper contents as “poo-poo” or “poopy.”
- Potty – related to poo-poo, the potty refers to a baby’s use of the bathroom, particularly as they graduate from diapers. Many a parent continues to use words like the potty to refer to the bathroom, even when the babies have long outgrown using the word.
- Onesie – pronounced “won-zee,” these are baby’s adorable undershirts, which clip between the baby’s legs to keep secure and not ride up. Onesies tend to make an appearance at every baby shower. They are also not that easy to spell, so keep your eye on this word if you are putting together a word-scramble puzzle!
- Boppy – refers to the curved pillows that are used for nursing and feeding newborn babies. Boppy pillows are some of the most universally useful pieces of baby gear on the market, as a baby can use it while feeding with mom, while napping up against mom, when learning how to sit up on their own (putting the boppy behind baby helps them when the tumble), and more.
- Rattle – this entertaining toy is also an excellent example of onomatopoeia in the fun baby word lists! These toys make rattling noises that can entertain babies of almost every age!
- Binky – this is the colloquial term for a baby’s pacifier. Binky is coined from a specific brand of pacifiers, and is not only a funny baby-related word. It has been the key to soothing many a fussy baby, and even is the secret weapon of weary moms and dads trying to get much-needed sleep!
- Butt Paste – this is one of the funniest baby-related phrases! It refers to creams used to help treat and prevent diaper rash.
- Bib – spell it forward or backward, a bib is a key piece of baby equipment and can be a funny baby word. Considering what pureed baby foods, like liquid carrots and peas, can do to baby clothes, bibs serve an indispensible purpose for babies and their wardrobes. And speaking of indispensible, some manufacturers are even creating disposable bibs.
- Boogers, boogies, and booger suckers – also known of course as mucus, boogers are unfortunately part and parcel of baby life. For newborns especially, hospitals give new parents “booger suckers,” small blue suction devices that help evacuate mucus from a baby’s nose. Boogers and booger suckers can make for a lot of comedy at baby showers, and later at mom and dad’s house, as parents engage in the permanent battle against the runny nose!
No matter what the term, there are all forms of comedy around the work and joys associated with bringing up babies! Keep this list of funny words related to babies handy when planning that next fun baby shower!