Do you need a list of English words of Russian origin? Languages borrow words from each other all the time, and still do today. Let’s look at some English words that have Russian roots and at the country and language of Russia.
Words of Russian Origin
Not very many English words have been taken from Russian. After Russia became a world power, more words made their way into other languages. You can find a list of English words of Russian origin at Wikipedia.
Here are a few of them:
- Babushka: An old granny or a scarf folded diagonally and tied underneath the chin
- Blintz: A food term used to describe a thin pancake, often filled with a filling
- Bolshevik: An extermist white ring Russian
- Borsch: Soup
- Commissar: A political officer responsible for providing education
- Cosmonaut: A space sailor who is trained in space flight
- Mammoth: An extinct animal that burrowed in the ground
- Pirogi: A word that means pie in Russian
- Ruble: A coin cut from a silver ingot
- Samovar: A tea urn or tall pitcher that holds hot drinks
- Troika: Three things or people working together
- Tundra: A low temperature area
- Vodka: An alcoholic drink
Facts about Russia
Russia is the largest country in the world taking up one ninth of the total land area. It spreads over nine time zones and has many different types of weather and land forms. According to population, it is also ranks ninth in the world. It has the largest forest reserves and holds one fourth of the world’s fresh water.
As far as seasons go, Russia is the coldest country in the world. Winter usually lasts four or five months, but in the north, it can last as long as 10. This is why so many Russians wear fur hats that cover their ears. Summers, on the other hand, are warm and sunny.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"List of English Words of Russian Origin." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 13 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/list-of-english-words-of-russian-origin.html>.
List of English Words of Russian Origin. (n.d.). Retrieved August 13th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/list-of-english-words-of-russian-origin.html