Do you want some spooky Halloween words? Following are words, sayings, and quotes about the spookiest holiday of the year.
Spooky Halloween Words
Here are some quotes about Halloween that you might want to use at parties or in spooky Halloween greeting cards.
- At first cock-crow the ghosts must go. Back to their quiet graves below. - Theodosia Garrison
- When witches go riding, and black cats are seen. The moon laughs and whispers, ‘tis near Halloween. - 19th century postcard
- Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble. -Shakespeare from "Macbeth"
- As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today...Oh, how I wish he'd go away. - Anonymous
- Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen Voices whisper in the trees, "Tonight is Halloween!" - Dexter Kozen
- My candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open... - Mary Shelley from Frankenstein
- Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble. - Shakespeare
- Death will slay with his wings whoever disturbs the peace of the Pharaoh. - curse written at Tutankhamen’s tomb
- She just goes a little mad sometimes. We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you? - Norman Bates from the movie Psycho
Just For Fun
Just for fun, here is a list of spooky Halloween words: afraid, apparition, bat, bloodcurdling, bloody, bones, broomstick, cackle, cadaver, candy, carve, casket, cauldron, cemetery, cobweb, coffin, costume, creepy, eerie, fangs, frightening, ghost, ghoul, goblin, gory, grave, Grim Reaper, haunted, howl, Jack-O-Lantern, macabre, magic, mausoleum, morbid, mummy, owl, party, phantom, potion, pumpkin, RIP, scary, scream, shadow, skeleton, skull, specter, spell, spider, spirits, spooky, superstition, tombstone, treat, trick, unearthly, unnerving, vampire, warlock, werewolf, witch, wizard, wraith, and zombie.
Also just for fun, here are the seven scariest movies of all time:
- The Silence of the Lambs
- The Exorcist
- The Shining
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Night of the Living Dead
If you are a teacher or parent looking for spooky Halloween words, you might also want some Halloween games and puzzles.
- The Balance website has links to 33 Halloween Word Search puzzles. You can print them out for the classroom or a party.
- There are many fun games and activities on Learn English Kids. Some are interactive, some are craft projects, and some are stories and songs.
- Check out Holidays.HobbyLoco.com. This site has interactive games and puzzles including: seven word search puzzles, a crossword puzzle, and other games with a Halloween theme.
Throwing an Adult Halloween Party
The first thing to think about when throwing an adult Halloween party is the decorations. You might want to buy 50 - 100 tealights and not use regular lighting. Tealights will burn for three to five hours and can be floated in water. This will give the house a spooky ambiance. Look into flickering orange lights to replace ordinary bulbs. A few silhouettes on windows will have an eerie effect. Get a CD of organ music or something else that is creepy-sounding but not cutesy kid’s stuff.
For food ideas, go online and you will find plenty. If you don’t have time to make special Halloween dishes, or you want to serve some of your favorite dishes, just buy some plastic body parts and place them in the food, on the table, or both. It’s easy to make bloody eyeballs. Just color deviled eggs green and put a black olive with a piece of pimento or red pepper in the center. Make the eyeballs bloody by painting a bit of red food coloring paste on the white parts of the egg. Last of all don’t forget a big bowl of Halloween candy. After all, we are all kids at heart.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Spooky Halloween Words." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/spooky-halloween-words.html>.
Spooky Halloween Words. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word-lists/spooky-halloween-words.html