Well-written job descriptions play a vital role in attracting qualified candidates to your company. Whether you're advertising online or placing a traditional newspaper ad, here's how to write a job description that's concise and informative. Consider it your first step in hiring a new employee.
No matter what type of position you are advertising, the job description should include the following information:
If you're writing a short job description for a newspaper or a publication with limited space, use this sample job description for an administrative assistant as a formatting guide:
Small, family-owned catering company seeks a full-time administrative assistant to work Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Duties will include answering phones, preparing payroll, processing invoices, managing inventory, and monitoring the work of two part-time student employees. Applicant must have at least five years of office management experience. Competitive compensation package includes health insurance, 401(k), and paid time off. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until April 5.
If you are publishing a job description online, space will be less of a consideration. Here you can use bullets to highlight key points, as shown in this sample job description for a marketing manager:
Do you have an eye for fashion and experience differentiating a brand through creative copywriting? If so, let's talk!
Mia & Emma is a rapidly growing women's apparel company specializing in affordable, plus size clothing for women ages 25-40. We're seeking a full-time marketing manager for our Sacramento office.
Duties will include:
- Creating media plans, marketing proposals, and related promotional materials.
- Overseeing web development and site updates.
- Developing a social media strategy to promote brand identity.
- Working with members of the media to ensure optimum exposure and value for product placements.
- Planning special events, including fall and spring fashion shows.
- Hiring and overseeing freelancers and contractors on an as needed basis.
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field.
- Five years of professional work experience in a corporate or agency environment.
- Experience driving customer acquisition through lead generation programs.
- Familiarity with marketing automation tools. (HubSpot preferred.)
- Strong project management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet stringent deadlines.
- Availability for occasional travel.
Compensation is commensurate with experience but includes a full benefits package and the option for partial telecommuting. Apply online at miaemma.com by June 7.
Revising and editing is a vital part of the writing process, even when you're preparing a job description. The more efficient your writing, the more effective your communcation will be. Seeking feedback from people who are familiar with the requirements of the position can help ensure that your job description will succeed in attracting top talent to your company.
Once you have some responses to your job ad be sure to look for these 5 common resume mistakes to weed out sloppy or unprofessional applicants.
Questions? Comments? Leave your thoughts below!