With many letters of the alphabet, we see a host of adjectives that are related to certain word families, root words, or prefixes. Adjectives that start with Y are no exception. You'll find several variations on the adjectives yellow and young, for example. And adjectives that start with Y run the gamut of meanings. From clothes to countries, music to munchies, Y adjectives can describe just about anything. Ready to have some fun?
Adjectives That Start With Y
These adjectives beginning with Y need very little introduction. They're full of character and life. Here are our top 20:
- Yappy - talkative; loquacious
That puppy sure was yappy.
- Yawning - wide open; gaping
The yawning, dark cave on the cliff looked ominous.
- Year-long - lasting the duration of one year
I'd like to take a year-long vacation from my job.
- Yearly - annually; happening every year
We should all take a yearly vacation.
- Yeasty - of, like, or containing yeast
I love the yeasty taste of sourdough bread.
- Yellow - the color between orange and green in the color spectrum
Her yellow sundress was gorgeous.
- Yellow-bellied - cowardly
The sheriff wanted to catch the yellow-bellied thief.
- Yellowish - something with a tint of yellow
The yellowish tint in those curtains reminds me of a summer's day.
- Yiddish - having to do with Yiddish, a language spoken by Eastern European Jews and their descendants
My Jewish friend is fluent in Yiddish.
- Yielding - productive; flexible; being docile, submissive, obedient
This year's high-yielding crop will give us a powerful surplus.
- Yodeling - singing with abrupt changes between a normal chest register and falsetto
The small girl surprised everyone by winning the yodeling competition.
- Yogic - of or relating to yoga
Those who are firmly at peace with themselves usually have yogic tendencies.
- Yonder - distant, but still within sight
Please pluck that yonder lavender for my bouquet.
- Young - being in an early period of life or growth; not old
The young puppy was learning not to be yappy.
- Youngish - acting or appearing young
The youngish actress still had a lot to learn about the craft.
- Your - of or belonging to you
Is that your script?
- Youthful - fresh; vigorous; active
My mom maintains such a youthful glow.
- Yucky - unpleasant, distasteful
That wholewheat sandwich was yucky.
- Yugoslavian - of or pertaining to Yugoslavia
My new boyfriend is Yugoslavian.
- Yummy - very tasty; delectable; delicious
That PB&J sandwich was yummy.
Don't start yawning now we're near the end of an extensive list of adjectives, broken down letter by letter. Let's wrap things up with a list of Adjectives That Start with Z. Think we can source an interesting list of Z adjectives? Let's find out.
Yummy and yeasty bread rolls
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Adjectives That Start with Y." YourDictionary. LoveToKnow. grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/adjectives-that-start-with-y.html.
Adjectives That Start with Y. (n.d.). In YourDictionary. Retrieved from https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/adjectives/adjectives-that-start-with-y.html