Punctuation and parentheses sometimes get along well enough to stay together. Other times, not so much. And sometimes, it’s a combination of the two.
Two spaces after a period might be a little bit of overkill, depending on who you ask. Learn about the rules of spacing after a period with this guide.
Among the 16 most commonly used punctuation marks are the period, question mark, exclamation point, and comma. These, along with the other 12, are all listed neatly and explained for you here.
Braces, also referred to as “curly brackets,” are not used very often. Still, there’s a right and wrong way to use them in formal writing, which you may need to know.
- How and When To Use Brackets in Grammar [ ]
- When and How To Use a Hyphen ( - )
- When Should Ages Be Hyphenated? The Years-Old Question
- When & How To Use Parentheses Correctly (With Examples)
- Inside or Outside? Where Punctuation Goes in Quotation Marks
- How and When To Use Single Quotation Marks ( ‘ ’ )
- Using Quotation Marks When Citing Information
- When and How To Use an Apostrophe ( ’ )
- When and How To Use Quotation Marks ( “ ” )
- When and How To Use Ellipses ( ... )
- When and How To Use an Em Dash ( — )
- How and When To Use a Colon ( : )
- What Is a Comma? The 9 Rules of Usage
- When and How To Use a Question Mark ( ? )
- When and How To Use an Exclamation Point ( ! )
- When and How To Use a Semicolon ( ; )
- When and How To Use an En Dash ( – )
- How and When To Use a Period in Punctuation (.)
- 8 Times Commas Were Important
- Why the Period in Your Text Makes Your Friends Nervous
- Why Are You Yelling? How All Caps Make You Loud
- When NOT to Use an Apostrophe: Avoid Common Mistakes
- Basic Punctuation Rules Everyone Needs to Know
- Colons, Semicolons and Dashes
- Quotation Marks Worksheets for Student Practice (Free Printables)
- When to Italicize
- 3 Types of Dashes and Correct Usage in Writing
- Using Italics or Quotation Marks in Titles
- Where Do You Put Quotes When Using a Registered Trademark?
- Practice Using Quotation Marks
- Rules for Underlining