Common sixth grade spelling words include those recommended by the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Scripps offers 100 words that are challenging for 6th graders to learn throughout the year. Check out some of these spelling bee words combined with some standard 6th grade spelling list words.
It may seem like 6th-grade spelling is unnecessary, but even middle schoolers are still learning to spell complex words. Start the year out with short spelling words, then add in longer ones as kids master these.
Medium-length spelling words for 6th grade are often challenging because they defy standard English spelling rules.
Kids of all skill levels in 6th grade can master spelling these words with a lot of practice.
You can help students spell these words by using them in a sentence. Here are example sentences for some of the more difficult spelling words.
- Let’s gauge how much sugar we need to make three dozen cookies.
- That yacht is bigger than my house.
- All the soccer players formed a clique.
- If I lived in Xanadu, I’d be happy all the time.
- Try not to accumulate too many stuffed animals.
- The water in the Caribbean is beautiful.
- We have an early dismissal from school today.
- That miscreant keeps vandalizing cars.
- Is the tambourine a percussion instrument?
- She supposedly took all the pencils from the classroom.