There are many words that are commonly misspelled by elementary school students, particularly because this time is one where students are just beginning to spell words on their own. Spelling is difficult, because not every word can just be sounded out. There are silent letters, compound sounds, and so forth! Therefore, reviewing a list of these words with your elementary school students will help to ease some of the issues.
Most Commonly Misspelled Words in Elementary School
Some of the top words mispelled by elementary school students include:
Review and download the printable PDF document below for the full list of commonly misspelled words. It's a great reference resource to keep on hand in the classroom.
View & Download PDF
Teaching spelling can be difficult enough, without the added stress of teaching commonly misspelled words.
- Be patient with the students. Yelling at students about spelling is just going to frustrate them. It will not help in making them become better writers. Furthermore, the students will appreciate that you are patient.
- Use flashcards. Even older learners can benefit from the usage of flashcards. Sometimes just seeing the word before them is enough to help them remember it.
- Encourage the use of tools like spell check on the computer. Spell check should not become the ultimate source for students, because it does have errors in it. However, it allows students to see the word in front of them.
- Distribute handouts that have both the correct and incorrect spellings of words on them. Allow students to figure out which one is correct. It does not create the high pressure environment of having to spell out a word by one's self, but it does have a similiar effect.
- Ask students which words they have trouble spelling, and admit that everyone has a few problematic words. Students might feel that they are the only ones who cannot spell.
- Be sensitive to learning disabilities. Spelling words correctly is going to be much move difficult for someone who is dyslexic than for someone who does not have any learning disabilities.
- Encourage students to edit their own work. If they learn to pick up on their own errors, they will be more likely to correct them.
Practice Makes Perfect
Understand that recognizing misspelled words is simply a matter of experience and practice. Many problematic words don't make a lot of sense, because they don't follow conventional rules about how words should be spelled. Be patient. The more the students work on the words that give them trouble, the better able they will be to overcome these challenges.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Elementary School Most Commonly Misspelled Words ." YourDictionary. LoveToKnow. grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/elementary-school-most-commonly-misspelled-words.html.
Elementary School Most Commonly Misspelled Words . (n.d.). In YourDictionary. Retrieved from https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/elementary-school-most-commonly-misspelled-words.html