Is there a more tired sentiment than a quickly thrown out "thank you" or "much appreciated"? Yet for employers and employees, vendors and clients, family and friends, even acquaintances and neighbors, showing appreciation for what a person means to you or has done for you is absolutely necessary.
How do you Express Gratitude?
There are many ways you can express gratitude and appreciation - in a thank you note, in a gift, in an action, or in person. Your well-meaning words don't have to come across as banal and trite, especially if they're from the heart. If you're wondering just how to show appreciation, try some of these words of appreciation to get you started.
They're not sentimental or sappy, but each phrase expresses something about a relationship that lifts the heart or makes the day-to-day stresses more manageable. Take the time today to tell someone "I appreciate you" in a meaningful way.
Words of Support
These phrases are appropriate for business/organization relationships, casual friends, and acquaintances who have supported you or gone the extra mile.
- I just wanted to let you know-the things you do for [me, the company, our group] do not go unnoticed. You're a necessary piece to this puzzle. I appreciate your dedication and service, and I know others do too.
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment. You are not only a valued member of this group, but you're also a good friend. I can't imagine working without you.
- You are the heart and soul of this team. I appreciate your dedicated commitment.
- I only wish to aspire to the things you've achieved. Telling you that you're "appreciated" does not do your service justice. You're the best!
- You do such a great job day in, day out! Keep it up.
- Let me encourage you today: you're not only on the right track, but you also set the course for the rest of us. I appreciate you.
- The difference you make is nothing short of legendary!
- I really appreciate your belief in me and your determination in showing me I can do it! Thank you for your perseverance and support.
- I can't imagine the world without you. I only know it would be a much different, much less comforting place.
- God bless you for always being there to cheer and to guide.
Words of Love
Hearing "thank you" and "I love you" is always welcome, but these loving messages will help you tell someone special they're loved and appreciated in a new way.
- Proust urged his readers to be grateful to the people who make them happy. I am so grateful to have you in my life.
- Your love and support will always be remembered, fondly in good times, and as encouragement in bad.
- Someday I hope to give to you a fraction of all you've given me.
- No words can express, no act of gratitude can relay, no gift can represent what your encouragement and support have meant to me. Please accept this note as an indicator of my heartfelt appreciation for everything you are.
- I can't imagine five minutes without you. Thank God I've got the rest of my life to spend with you.
- If I tried to tell you how much I appreciate you, I'd be talking for the rest of my life. I hope that, in some small way, you realize how much you've meant to me, and how truly I desire to give back to you.
- To truly appreciate life, we seek companionship. Thank you for being my companion. I appreciate you.
- You've bent over backward for me. Please let me repay you somehow, if only in a note telling you how much I appreciate your love and support.
Why not incorporate a thoughtful quote from some of the world's leading philosophers, authors, and businessmen to convey your deep appreciation for another person into your message of appreciation?
- Frederick Koenig once said that "happiness comes not from getting something we lack, but from the recognition and appreciation of what we do have." I agree-I don't know what I'd do without you.
- "I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate." - Elbert Hubbard
- According to the Dalai Lama, "the roots of goodness are in the soil of appreciation for goodness." You've been too good to me, and it is deeply appreciated.
- "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." - John F. Kennedy
- "Courtesies of a small and trivial character are the ones which strike deepest in the grateful and appreciating heart." - Henry Clay
- Goethe said, "treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." You've treated me as though I were capable of reaching the stars. Because of you, I have.
- When I read that Charles Dickens said, "reflect upon your present blessings," you immediately came to mind.
- "Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire
Regardless of the type or depth of the relationship, a few words of appreciation are always an appropriate way to show gratitude, support or encouragement.
YourDictionary has more examples of words of appreciation and some encouraging words for every occasion to help you perfect your message.