Everyone needs encouragement sometimes, whether it's to bolster their spirits in a painful time or simply to remind them that they're valued. That goes double for family, friends and other loved ones. Choosing just the right words of encouragement to someone you love is a wonderful experience for both the speaker and the listener. Discover examples of encouraging messages to a loved one so you’ll be prepared to help motivate the people you care about most.
Words of Encouragement to One You Love
Three Little Words to Encourage Someone You Love
As cliché as it might sound, sometimes the words "I love you" can make a huge difference. Do you say them often enough? Do the people you love actually hear them from you? Consider these phrases to combine that all-important sentiment with encouragement.
- I love you a lot. You know that, right?
- I love you and am here to help. What can I do for you? Do you need anything?
- Don't worry. You’ve got this. I love you and have your back.
- I love you not because we’re related, but because you are an incredible person.
- Things have a way of working out the way they should. I love you no matter what.
In particular, the words “I love you” can mean the world when someone is suffering. Every crisis is easier to bear when you know you have caring people backing you up.
Messages of Support and Honest Encouragement
Taking on a new challenge or overcoming an old one is always a struggle. Finding the right words to help can be too. When a loved one is taking on a challenge, they may complain or vent to you. Your words should focus on being both positive and motivational as well as honest.
- You've got this. I believe in you.
- This is tough, but it's temporary. Life will go on.
- I know it's hard right now, but it's worth doing. Believe in yourself.
- I’m so proud of you and know that you will excel.
- You deserve this opportunity. You’re ready for this and you will succeed.
- You can absolutely do this. I know this and so do the many other people who love you, care about you, and are rooting for you to succeed.
- You’re not in this alone. I’m here for you and so are many others. We all know you have what it takes.
- You don’t have to handle everything yourself. Lean on me and let me help. I know you could get through this on your own, but please let me help lighten your load.
Encouraging a loved one in the face of a challenge is an important kind of positive reinforcement. Stating your faith that the person you love will see it through can really help them. If you believe it, so will they.
Words of Encouragement and Strength
When someone is facing a troublesome situation, it’s easy to become overwhelmed and tempted to give up. Remind your loved one of just how strong they really are; your words just might help them work through a difficult situation and come out stronger on the other side.
- If anyone can do this, you can.
- You’re prepared and ready. Nothing can stand in your way.
- I know you have it in you to navigate this situation.
- You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. This won’t beat you.
- Your strength inspires me. I know you will get through this and come out even stronger.
- Look at how far you have come already. You’re stronger than any adversity. You’ve got this.
- I feel sorry for anyone who underestimates your strength and abilities. You’ll make it through this and come out even stronger on the other side.
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going. That’s more than a cliché. That’s how I’ve seen you live your life through so many challenges. You will get through this.
Whether a person is facing a personal crisis, it’s easy to feel knocked down and weakened. By offering encouragement and support, you can help a loved one navigate circumstances that seem overwhelming.
Words of Encouragement for Hard Times
Even people who don’t need a lot of building up under ordinary circumstances are likely to really appreciate words of encouragement from friends and family when they find themselves in a difficult situation.
- I can’t pretend to know how you feel, but I do know how strong you are.
- This won’t keep you down. You’re too strong to be held back by a setback.
- I know you’ll be able to recover and bounce back stronger than ever.
- This is temporary. Stay focused on tomorrow and keep moving forward.
- I’ve got you. I won’t let you fall. You can count on me to help you get back on your feet.
- Nothing can keep you down. I’ve seen you accomplish so much against seemingly impossible odds. You have it in you to get through this.
- You have made it through tough times before. I know this can’t keep you down. I believe in you and am here to help.
- Things may seem difficult right now, but I’ve seen you bounce back from adversity in the past. You have the ability to overcome any difficulties.
Whether hard times are expected or if something suddenly occurs, such as an accident or natural disaster, these encouraging statements are sure to be appreciated.
Offering Encouragement to a Loved One in Pain
There's no harder situation than trying to keep up the spirits of a person in deep, real pain. In situations like the loss of a loved one or a frightening medical diagnosis, there's not much to do beyond using carefully chosen words to connect with loved ones.
- You are so strong. I admire you and am here to provide any support you need.
- While I don’t know how you feel, I do know that your fortitude is incredible.
- It's going to be hard for a while. But, you'll overcome it. I know you will.
- You are one of the strongest people I have ever met. I know you will persevere.
- You are strong, you are loved. Lean on me and let me help you through this.
- However you are feeling right now, you have every right to feel that way. Just know that I am on your side. I’m pulling for you and will help in any way you’ll allow.
- Today may feel hopeless, but tomorrow is another day. When you’re ready to talk, I’ll be there for you.
- If I could absorb your pain so you didn’t have to feel it, I would. What I wouldn’t give to take away your pain. What I can do is be here for you, every step of the way.
It's too easy to become lost in grief or fear when you feel there's no future or no one cares what happens next. Make allowances for the fact that not everyone processes grief or other extremely painful situations the same way.
Words of Encouragement to My Love
Some of the words of encouragement that you might use with your parents, siblings, friends, or children might also work for your romantic partner, but that’s not always the case. You may want to consider a different approach than you would use with other loved ones.
- You are my world. I am here for you always. Nothing will change that.
- In my eyes, you are flawless and can accomplish anything.
- Together, we can accomplish anything and overcome any challenge. No matter what the future holds, we will always be together.
- You are the light of my life. Let me be the support that allows you to shine so others can see you as I do.
- I love all of you, including your past, the present and the future. Lean on me for support as you reach for your dream.
- My love, you deserve all that is good in this world. Let others see your heart and you’re sure to achieve all of your dreams.
- Whatever you seek to achieve, you have my unconditional love.
- Your loving heart and generous spirit are just two of the many reasons I love you. I have no doubt that you can overcome any adversity. I will always be with you.
No matter what you say, make sure the one you love knows that your love and support for them is unwavering while also expressing your belief in their ability to succeed
Words of Encouragement for a Friend
If the person who needs encouragement is a friend rather than someone you’re related to or someone with whom you’re involved romantically, consider the nature and depth of your relationship when deciding what to say.
- You, my friend, are the family I chose. I am here for you no matter what. Lean on me and let me help you get through this.
- Since we met on the first day of high school, I knew that you were a strong and special person. You can do anything you set your mind to.
- Even when we were kids, you were always tough and resilient. I’ve known you long enough to be sure of one thing — that nothing can keep you down for long.
- We haven’t known each other for very long, but I want to let you know that I really admire your strength.
- I’m so sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. You’re so smart and resourceful; I know you’ll get through this situation.
- No matter what has happened and what you face ahead, you are not alone. You have so many friends, me included, who have your back and believe in you.
- Through thick or thin, you and I will always be friends. I’ll always be here to catch you if you fall and I’ll help move any obstacles in your way. I’ve got your back no matter what.
- Whatever the future holds you do not have to face it on your own. I’ll be right by your side, making sure everyone sees how wonderful you are.
Offering Encouragement Through Showing Appreciation
Showing thanks to a loved one can be done with deeds as well as words. Flowers or cards can go a long way, but so can a simple statement of gratitude. Showing appreciation is a great way to provide encouragement to someone you love by recognizing all that they do for you.
- Thank you for working so hard. It means a lot to me.
- You put so much energy into this. It wouldn't be the same without you.
- Your hard work and commitment have helped us accomplish this goal.
- Words cannot express how very much I appreciate you.
- Your ideas are so creative. I really appreciate your outside-the-box insights.
"Thank you," "I appreciate you" and "I couldn't have done it without you" can be conveyed via spoken remarks, emails or letters. These words encourage people by letting them know they are valued and appreciated.
Kindness Is Key to Encouraging Messages
All of this advice fundamentally comes down to a simple instruction: remind your loved ones that you're present, that you care and that they matter to you. Be kind when you're looking for the right words of encouragement to share with the one you love. For even more ideas, review these encouraging words for every occasion. You will find the right thing to say. Just put yourself in the other person’s place, and imagine how you'd feel if you were on the receiving end of your words.