Fall words, or autumn words, help you describe this special season including the months of September, October, and November. Check out the autumn vocabulary lists to discover words starting with every letter of the alphabet that describe fall.
Autumn Vocabulary Words From A to Z
Fall Words in ABC Order
Explore the season of fall, or autumn, through an alphabetical list of vocabulary words related to this time between summer and winter.
- autumnal (adj.) - relating to autumn
- beaver moon (n.) - first full moon in November
- crisp (adj.) - cool and fresh
- deciduous (adj.) - falling off at a certain season
- equinox (n.) - time when the sun in its movement along the ecliptic crosses the celestial equator
- fall (n.) - the season after summer and before winter
- generous (adj.) - kind and giving or a large amount
- hay (n.) - cut and dried grass or other plants
- Indian summer (n.) - period of mild weather occurring in late autumn
- jacket (n.) - short coat usually extending to the hips
- kernel (n.) - a grain or seed of corn, wheat, and other crops
- leaves (n.) - parts of a plant or tree attached to the branches or stems
- maize (n.) - corn
- nature (n.) - the natural Earth and the things on it
- orchard (n.) - area of land where fruit or nut trees are grown
- pie (n.) - fruit, meat or cheese prepared with a pastry shell
- quarterback (n.) - American football player whose primary job is to pass the ball in a play
- reap (v.) - to cut, gather, or harvest
- susurrous (adj.) - full of whispering sounds; used to describe leaves rustling
- thanks (interj.) - short way of saying “thank you”
- uniform (n.) - a certain outfit that members of a team or group wear, like football players
- vote (v.) - to participate in an election or to express a preference
- winterize (v.) - to equip for winter
- xenial (adj.) - hospitable
- yam (n.) - moist, orange-colored variety of sweet potato
- zipper (n.) - device used to fasten and unfasten two adjoining edges of material, like on a jacket
Themed Autumn Word Lists
From fall holiday words to autumn verbs, you can find awesome words to describe every aspect of this season.
September Word List
September is back-to-school time and the start of autumn harvests. This September word bank features words related to this first month of fall.
October Word List
If you’re wondering how you would describe October, this fall word bank can help you find the right words. From spooky Halloween words to weather terms, October vocabulary words celebrate the heart of the season.
Words That Describe Autumn
Beautiful words that describe this season include words that describe an autumn day and words that describe leaves.
Autumn Verb List
Autumn is a busy time of year with people clearing fallen leaves, harvesting crops, and preparing for winter. These fall verbs help you describe what everyone’s doing during these months.
An Autumnal Alphabet
Using the alphabet to explore autumn makes learning about this season fun. Keep the fun going by exploring things like Halloween vocabulary in Spanish to expand your personal word bank.