Are you looking for just the right words to express how you feel? Perhaps a simple “I love you” doesn’t carry enough weight and you need to dress it up a little. Fear not! Help is on the way! Browse lists of romantic words to describe someone you love, along with a few phrases that just might spark the proverbial fires.
List of Romantic Words & Sweet Ways to Describe Someone
Romantic Words List
There’s no denying the weight of the three most romantic words, "I love you." But, if you’re looking to write a letter with a tad more creativity, here are some other romantic words for you to consider:
- better half
- crazy for you
- friend and lover
- main squeeze
- my everything
Romantic Action Words
How about a list of action words? Many, though not all, of the words below can be substituted for the verb “love” in “I love you.” Perhaps you can use a few of these words to describe the way you feel.
Synonyms for Romance/Romantic
Using words that mean basically the same thing as romance or romantic can be another great option when you're searching for words to describe someone you love.
- goo goo
A romantic nickname can be a great way to use words to describe someone you love.
- baby doll
- better half
- keeper of my heart
- light of my life
- my love
- my sweet
- prince charming
- snuggle bunny
Saying I Love You
Another way to tell someone "I love you" is to say it in another language.
- French - je t'aime (zhu t-ehm) or je t'adore (zhu tah-dor)
- Greek - s'agapo (sa-ga-pó)
- Italian - ti amo (te a-mo)
- Hawaiian - aloha Au Ia 'oe (Aloha wau iā-oe)
- Russian - ya lyublyu tebya (ya tee-BYAH lyoo-BLYOO)
- Spanish - te amo (tay-ah-mo) or te quiero (tay key-aero)
List of Romantic Sayings and Quotes
Along with this list of romantic words, it might also help to have some romantic quotes or sayings by your side.
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle
- "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever." - Alfred Lord Tennyson
- You hold the key to my heart.
- My love for you is unconditional and eternal.
- You make my heart skip a beat.
- Last night I looked up into the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars.
Love Is in the Air
Sometimes you need more than a list of romantic words to be romantic. After all, actions speak louder than words. However, in the realm of love, a few sweet words never did any harm. Before you start crafting the one-liner to end all one-liners, take a look at expressions of love in words. From there, review these short and sweet love poems for inspiration. Happy romancing!