At this very moment, there is probably a new slang word being coined. Whether it becomes popular and lives on for many years is another story entirely. New slang words can either spread like wildfire or die quiet, lonely deaths. College campuses across the U.S. are the perfect environments for new slang. UCLA's linguistic department published their latest slang dictionary, U.C.L.A. Slang 6. It's full of words that are hot among young people.
Popular Slang Words
Here is a list of 10 popular slang words that are fast becoming a part of the everyday lingo for the young and hip:
- Sick - This is one of many slang words that mean the opposite of its original meaning. If something is "sick" it actually means it's cool or awesome. Example: Jennifer lives in a sick part of the city. It is full of restaurants and clubs.
- Presh - It is short for "precious." If you call something "presh" then it is very special. Example: Her new puppy is so presh.
- Bromance - a close male relationship. Basically a "bromance" is used to describe two guys who are best friends. Example: Matt and Dave are having a bromance. They are always together!
- You so Obama - This slang phrase is in reference to U.S. President Barack Obama. To be "so Obama" means that you are very cool and intelligent. Example: She just got accepted to Harvard University. She's so Obama.
- Spit game at - This phrase means to flirt. Example: James is such a flirt. He spits game at every new girl he meets.
- Chillax - Combination of the word "chill" and "relax," which is used to tell someone they should calm down. Example: Don't worry about the exam, just chillax and come to the party tonight.
- Total G - an impressive person. To compliment someone you use "total G." Example: Kevin got all A's in all his classes. He is a total G.
- Frenemy - an enemy that pretends to be a friend. Most of the time both people know that they are not really friends, but continue to associate with each other anyway. Example: Veronica and Carly used to be best friends at work, but now they are frenemies. They still talk do not really like each other.
- Recessionista - someone who finds fashionable items that are inexpensive. This slang word comes from the word "recession." Example: Sara is such a recessionista. Every week she always finds a cool item on sale.
- Destroy - another slang word that has an opposite meaning. To "destroy" means to do really well on something. Example: I didn't expect to destroy that exam. I got an A!
Before you go on to learn some new slang words, take our slang quiz based on these words.
- Gabriel studies every night. I told her that needs to _____________ and take a break once and a while.
- Since losing her job, Michelle has become such a _______________. She is able to find some cool stuff on sale.
- What do you think of my new pair of jeans? They're __________. I want a pair!
- If you invite Thomas to the party, you'll have to invite Mike because the are having a _____________.
- I can't believe he is _______________ at Louisa. She just broke up with her boyfriend.
- He is a ______________. He not only is he a perfect student, but he volunteers and has a part-time job.
- You won't be able to ____________ that interview if you don't practice.
- Those earrings are so ____________. Thanks, my mother got them for me.
- Why do you talk to her if she is your _____________?
- John is the president of his class. He's _______________. Everyone likes him.
Answer Key: 1. chillax; 2. recessionista; 3. sick; 4. bromance; 5. spitting game at; 6. total G; 7. destroy; 8. presh; 9. frenemies; 10. so Obama
Also, don't forget to check out the YourDictionary American Slang Dictionary